Today is International Women's Day
Submitted by communications on Fri, 03/07/2014 - 5:09pm
Did you know that…
- 4% of Fortune 500 CEOs are women?
- 8% of the 5 best-paid executives at each of Standard & Poor’s 500 Index companies were women and they earned on average 18% less than their male peers?
- the U.S. Army began testing body armor designed for women on 8/20/2012?
- 43% of college-aged men concede to using coercive behavior to have sex but did not admit that it was rape?
- anti-rape lingerie developed by three students in India delivers 3,800,000 volts of electricity?
- women earned 36% of MBA degrees in 2012?
- there is a 1 in 11 chance that a working U.S. woman makes at least $75,000 a year and a 1 in 5 chance that a working U.S. man does?
- President Obama has played 145 rounds of golf since becoming president and 2% of those have been with a woman?
- 47% of gamers are women, but 88% of video games developers are male?
- 1% of revenue made on the NFL’s pink breast-cancer-awareness merchandise goes to cancer prevention?
- NCAA Division I-A head coaches for women's teams receive an average salary of $850,400 while head coaches for men's teams average $1,783,100?
- women account for only 42% of head coaches in women's sports and 2% in men’s?
- 8% of athletic directors in Division I schools are women?
- on SportsCenter, men's sports are covered more than women's at a 20 to 1 ratio?
- female movie stars' average earnings increase until age 34, then rapidly decrease?
- male movie stars' average earnings reach maximum at age 51 and remain stable?
- in 2013, Angelina Jolie was the highest paid actress, earning $33 million (age 38) and Robert Downey Jr. was the highest paid actor, earning $75 million (at age 48)?
- women comprised just 9% of the directors and 15% of screenwriters for 2012’s 250 top grossing domestic films?
- only 30% of speaking characters in Hollywood movies are women?
- the ratio of men to women working in film is 5 to 1?
- 29% of women appearing in film wore sexually suggestive clothing as compared to 7% of men?
- by a nearly 3 to 1 margin, male front-page bylines at top newspapers outnumbered female bylines in coverage of the 2012 presidential election?