From the AMWU news release:
The fight for equal opportunity for women in the workplace must move beyond the narrow focus on company boards and extend to creating better jobs for women in blue collar industries, according to a report released by the Australian Manufacturing Workers Union today.
A survey of AMWU women members in NSW found:
- 74% have never been promoted to a more senior or higher paying role
- 74% see no opportunity for a promotion in the next five years
- 63% say they don't receive workplace training
- 44% are the main income earner in their family and
- 35% struggle to meet weekly bills